Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
You can use this classic meat sauce both to accompany spaghetti and for baked pasta dishes such as lasagne and cannelloni. Originally printed in Practical Pasta Sauces (ISBN 1-40540-924-X).
- 453.59 g spaghetti
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 85.04 g chicken livers, finely chopped
- 99.22 g parma ham, diced
- 5 fluid ounce marsala
- 283.49 g canned plum tomatoes
- 14.79 ml fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 29.58 ml tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1. To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, onion and carrot and cook for 6 minutes.
- 2. Add the minced beef, chicken livers and Parma ham. Cook over a medium heat for 12 minutes until well browned.
- 3. Stir in the Marsala, tomatoes, basil and tomato purée and cook, stirring for 4 minutes. Season to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, to cook the pasta, bring a large saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti and 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook for 12 minutes or until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a serving dish. Pour over the sauce and serve.