Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
You can use this classic meat sauce both to accompany spaghetti and for baked pasta dishes such as lasagne and cannelloni. Originally printed in Practical Pasta Sauces (ISBN 1-40540-924-X).
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 3 ounces chicken livers, finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces parma ham, diced
- 5 fluid ounces marsala
- 10 ounces canned plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1. To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, onion and carrot and cook for 6 minutes.
- 2. Add the minced beef, chicken livers and Parma ham. Cook over a medium heat for 12 minutes until well browned.
- 3. Stir in the Marsala, tomatoes, basil and tomato purée and cook, stirring for 4 minutes. Season to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, to cook the pasta, bring a large saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti and 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook for 12 minutes or until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a serving dish. Pour over the sauce and serve.