1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
You can use this classic meat sauce both to accompany spaghetti and for baked pasta dishes such as lasagne and cannelloni. Originally printed in Practical Pasta Sauces (ISBN 1-40540-924-X).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 3 ounces chicken livers, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces parma ham, diced
- 5 fluid ounces marsala
- 10 ounces canned plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 11. To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, onion and carrot and cook for 6 minutes.
- 22. Add the minced beef, chicken livers and Parma ham. Cook over a medium heat for 12 minutes until well browned.
- 33. Stir in the Marsala, tomatoes, basil and tomato purée and cook, stirring for 4 minutes. Season to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 44. Meanwhile, to cook the pasta, bring a large saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti and 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook for 12 minutes or until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a serving dish. Pour over the sauce and serve.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bolognese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 834.6
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 110.2 mg
- Sodium 241.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: