Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
You can use this classic meat sauce both to accompany spaghetti and for baked pasta dishes such as lasagne and cannelloni. Originally printed in Practical Pasta Sauces (ISBN 1-40540-924-X).
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 3 ounces chicken livers, finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces parma ham, diced
- 5 fluid ounces marsala
- 10 ounces canned plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1. To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, onion and carrot and cook for 6 minutes.
- 2. Add the minced beef, chicken livers and Parma ham. Cook over a medium heat for 12 minutes until well browned.
- 3. Stir in the Marsala, tomatoes, basil and tomato purée and cook, stirring for 4 minutes. Season to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, to cook the pasta, bring a large saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti and 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook for 12 minutes or until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a serving dish. Pour over the sauce and serve.