Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My favorite recipe... I really love the sweet taste of wine in it.
- 1 bottle red wine (Chianti is best but any cheap red wine is OK.)
- 1 1⁄2 kg topside beef mince
- 3 stalks celery, diced (no leaves)
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon marjoram or 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup dry-roasted pine nuts
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 250 g button mushrooms (brown button mushrooms are better)
- 5 fresh tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped or 1 (400 g) canof skinless tomatoes
- 1 (150 g) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 bottle ketchup (Heinz is best)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Using your hands, mix egg and minced beef.
- Heat pan and fry garlic and onion until soft and fragrant, add beef.
- Stir constantly until beef changes colour.
- Add oregano, thyme, parsley, basil, marjoram, bayleaves.
- Stir through.
- Add tomato paste and fresh tomatoes, with 1/3 of the wine.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- DO NOT ADD WATER AT ALL.
- Let boil over very low heat until mixture thickens, stirring ocassionally.
- Add carrots and celery, and half of the remaining wine.
- Let boil (very low heat) until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add the rest of the wine, tomato sauce, pinenuts and mushrooms.
- Stir until sauce thickens.
- Serving method: Boil water until it bubbles, add pasta, 1 tbsp of salt and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook for exactly 8 minutes for al-dente texture.
- Drain pasta.
- Make sure it's really drained of water.
- In a pan, heat up pasta sauce (1 serving) and toss pasta in.
- Stir quickly (1 minute) and pour onto plate.
- Sprinkle with grated mozzarella and parmesan, and a bit of parsley.
- NOTE: Sauce can be stored in small containers in the freezer to be used when needed.
- Make sure container is microwaveable, clean and dry.
- The sauce keeps for 12 months in the freezer.