Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Stephanie Alexander's, "The Cooks Companion"
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 400 g minced beef or 400 g veal
- 100 g pancetta or 100 g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 9.85 ml plain flour
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 473.18 ml veal stock or 473.18 ml chicken stock or 473.18 ml tomato juice
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 400 g peeled tomatoes with juice, pureed
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add minced meat and pancetta and fry until meat breaks up into small lumps.
- Sprinkle in flour, then stir well.
- Add wine, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix well, then increase heat and boil to evaporate liquid.
- Add stock, tomato, tomato paste and herbs.
- Reduce heat again and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Taste for seasoning.
I actually own the cookbook this came from but have never made it before. We enjoyed it a lot thanks Jarrah. It was quick and easy to get on and cooking. I omitted the flour (I don't like flour thickened sauces) and just reduced it until I was happy with the consistency. I would have liked some basil and oregano in it along with the thyme and couldn't resist throwing in some chopped parsley at the end.
This was so good, i have NEVER made my own sauce, always used a jar for bolognese. Will NEVER be buying the "jar stuff" again! Thanks for this great recipe. Definately thumbs up! :)