1/1 Photo of Bolognese Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
Jarrah W Wilson's Note:
This recipe is from Stephanie Alexander's, "The Cooks Companion"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g minced beef or 400 g veal
- 100 g pancetta or 100 g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups veal stock or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups tomato juice
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 1 (400 g) peeled tomatoes with juice, pureed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Saute onion, celery and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until softened.
- 2Add minced meat and pancetta and fry until meat breaks up into small lumps.
- 3Sprinkle in flour, then stir well.
- 4Add wine, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 5Mix well, then increase heat and boil to evaporate liquid.
- 6Add stock, tomato, tomato paste and herbs.
- 7Reduce heat again and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- 8Taste for seasoning.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bolognese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 146.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 20.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: