This recipe is from Stephanie Alexander's, "The Cooks Companion"
Make and share this Bolognese Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g minced beef or 400 g veal
- 100 g pancetta or 100 g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups veal stock or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups tomato juice
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 1 (400 g) peeled tomatoes with juice, pureed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add minced meat and pancetta and fry until meat breaks up into small lumps.
- Sprinkle in flour, then stir well.
- Add wine, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix well, then increase heat and boil to evaporate liquid.
- Add stock, tomato, tomato paste and herbs.
- Reduce heat again and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Taste for seasoning.