Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 cups cooked penne
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 (20 ounce) can roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 plump garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, fry beef in 1 tbsp of olive oil until brown and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a deep saucepan, heat oil and fry onions, peppers, garlic and herbs until onions are lightly colored.
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Stir in canned tomatoes and tomato puree, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add grated parmesan cheese and ground beef and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- In an oven-safe glass dish, layer pasta and bolognese beef. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, and let it stand for 5 minutes. Buon Appetito!
Fantastico!!! So very easy yet so wonderfully tasteful. Expect leftovers to improve with refrigerator time. Followed rcipe to a 'T' and it was great. Thanks.