This recipe is one of our kids' favorite sauces, and one that has enough flavor to please the adults in the house as well. This meat sauce is wonderful with short pastas, especially gemelli.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- pasta, cooked and drained (6 servings)
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion, and cook over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the carrot, celery and garlic.
- Cook 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the beef and crumble it into the vegetables with a fork.
- Stir until the meat loses its red color.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine, raise the heat slightly, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, and the herbs.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta.