1/3 Photos of Bolognese Meat Sauce
2 hrs 15 mins
This recipe is one of our kids' favorite sauces, and one that has enough flavor to please the adults in the house as well. This meat sauce is wonderful with short pastas, especially gemelli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- pasta, cooked and drained (6 servings)
- 1Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan.
- 2Add the onion, and cook over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add the bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.
- 4Stir in the carrot, celery and garlic.
- 5Cook 3-4 minutes more.
- 6Add the beef and crumble it into the vegetables with a fork.
- 7Stir until the meat loses its red color.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Pour in the wine, raise the heat slightly, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4 minutes.
- 10Add the milk and cook until it evaporates.
- 11Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, and the herbs.
- 12Bring the sauce to a boil.
- 13Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 14Serve over pasta.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bolognese Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.6
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.9 mg
- Sodium 123.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 13.3 g