Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This sauce can be divided into single servings, frozen for future use. When reheating go ahead and add some VODKA and cream for a great vodka meat sauce (here's the Polish part)! I made this with only 1 tablespoon Olive oil and lean meats trying to keep the fat down and didn't lose anything in taste! Delicious in a meat lasagne or a baked ziti dish. Top a pizza or go a whole different way and place in a pie dish and top with mashed potatoes for a Italian shepherds pie! Now that's South meets East meets Western Europe! ;) Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chianti wine
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided in 1/2
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 -8 fresh basil leaves
- 2 lbs tomato puree
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large heavy bottom pot on medium heat, heat up the olive oil, add the garlic, onion, pepper, carrot, celery, and mushrooms cook allowing them to soften about 5 minutes.
- Add Chianti and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the parsley, meats, mix everything together breaking up and cook over a gentle flame until the meat has changed color.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, basil, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, and paste.
- SIMMER gently for half an hour and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Be sure to stir not to burn this rich thick sauce.
- If the mixture is dry add a little more olive oil, some vodka, or tomato puree. Serve over pasta, topped with parmesan cheese and remaining fresh parsley to garnish.
This is really a great bolognese sauce, I did make a few changes though, I used all ground beef and omitted the celery, I used 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic and 1 tablespoon dryed chili flaked and added in one jalapeno pepper. I am serving this sauce within the next couple of days so I will refrigerate until serving to blend the flavors even more, thanks for sharing this great recipe Rita!...Kitten:)
This is great, I added chopped pepperoni. With the left overs the grand kids and I made Pita pizzas.