Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A Bolognese, that's easy to make and tastes great.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices pancetta, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 kg lean ground beef
- 2 glasses red wine
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g passata
- 2 dried bay leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 800 g tagliatelle pasta noodles
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry the bacon until golden over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, frying until softened.
- Increase the heat and add the minced beef. Fry it until it has browned.
- Pour in the wine and boil until it has reduced in volume by about a third. Reduce the temperature and stir in the tomatoes, passata and celery.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over a gentle heat for 1-1½ hours until it's rich and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the tagliatelle in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain and divide between plates. Sprinkle a little parmesan over the pasta before adding a good ladleful of the sauce. Finish with a further scattering of cheese and a twist of black pepper.