Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"Prestigio" (pronounced "prescheejioo") is a Brazilian candy bar I used to eat when a child. This cake although it does not have the candy bar in it, mimics its color and a bit of the flavor. Hope you'll enjoy it!
- In blender put carrots, oil and eggs and blend until creamy.
- Sift flour and baking powder; add sugar and mix well. Blend in the carrot cream.
- Put in a greased pan and bake in 350 F oven for 40-45 minutes.
- FILLING: In small pan put the sweetened condensed milk; add two measures of the can with water and the coconut. Cook it on low, mixing constantly, until it boils. Cut cooled cake in half and spread filling on one half. Cover with other half.
- ICING: Put can in pressure cooker and cover with water. Pressure cook 50 minutes. Let pressure subside and remove can from pan; wait until completely cool to open can. Spread icing on top and sides of cake and sprinkle chocolate. (I wonder if you will resist using all the icing cooked sweetened condensed milk without tasting it -- I know I can't!).
- NOTE: The filling is syrupy, but you can reduce the liquid and get a thicker consistency. I personally like it more liquid, so it will permeate the cake when you pour it. The leftover filling can be used in another cake or on top of ice cream.
My husband who is Brazilian loved it. Similar to carrot cake except more dense and very flavorful. The only trouble I had was with the filling. It would not cook down to a consistency and was more like a syrup. I just used one can and a little less water and its better. For the icing I boiled down the milk but it got a little too gooey. I am still trying to tweek the recipe.