Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is submitted for play in ZWT8 – Spain/Portugal. It is a recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins. Ana states that light or regular beer works equally well, so please use your favorite. It sounds interesting, I have posted it for all the beer lovers out there.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, using the high speed of an elenctric mixer or mixing by hand, beat the sugar with the butter, until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the egg yolks, at medium speed, until the ingredients are fluffy and pale yellow, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the beer, mixing to blend, then add the flour and the baking powder, mix thoroughly 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold the beaten whites into the batter.
- Pour into a lightly greased and floured 10-inch tube pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes, until a wooden skewer comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #72* Having recently visited Portugal, must admit I never saw this on a menu. Used a Sierra Stout and followed all directions. This is lighter texture than traditional pound cake, but with some of the same firmness. No trace of beer taste, it is a tad sweet, and I cut back 1/4 cup of sugar -- may cut another 1/4 cup next time. No need for icing --(What would you put on beer?) -- nicely slices for packed lunches, or mid-afternoon tea break. Am freezing 1/2, I think it will thaw just fine ! Thanks for posting, BK, -nice addition to dessert list !