Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from portuguesecooking.com
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup beer
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, using the high speed of an electric mixer, beat the sugar with the butter, until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the egg yolks, at medium speed, until the ingredients are fluffy and pale yellow, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the beer, mixing to blend. Add the flour and the baking powder and mix thoroughly, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the beaten whites into the batter.
- Pour into a lightly greased and floured 10 inch tube pan and bake in the preheated oven until a wooden skewer comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, about 50 minutes.
- Cool about 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
I really didn't know what to expect with this cake. Cake- with beer? Believe it or not, it works rather well in this recipe. I was concerned it would taste "beery", but the sugar gives it a really nice taste. It's a nice, light, moist, flavourful cake. I served it with blueberries & fat-free Cool Whip. I can't wait to try it with strawberries. Definitely a YUMMY cake! Made for My 3 Chefs, fall '09.