Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made up this potato salad just now and the hot-pink colour immediately reminded me of the neon brightness of Bollywood films. :-) Although I didn't put any curry powder into the dressing today, I will do so soon, as I love curried potato salads - and the Bollywood of the title would be slightly more justified. ;-)
- 5 medium potatoes, boiled and still hot
- 3 small beets, cooked (I get them pre-cooked, vacuum-packed)
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup gherkin, chopped (cornichons)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 5 tablespoons Greek yogurt (very thick)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like Hellmans)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder (depending on how pronounced you want it)
- Chop the potatoes roughly into chunks. Grate the beets into the potatoes on the large holes of a standard box grater. Add onion, garlic, gherkins and hard-boiled eggs.
- In a small bowl whisk together yoghurt, mayo, red wine vinegar and curry powder (if using). Pour over chopped veg in a large bowl and combine gently with a spatula to evenly coat all veg with the dressing and get the hot-pink colour of the beets everywhere.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving to blend flavours.
I had leftover boiled potatoes and beets so this was perfect timing. I used a prepared chicken masala spice mix that I love on eggs and fish, and substituted red raspberry vinegar and it complemented the sweetness of the pickles. A pretty pink salad good enough for company.