Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008, as seen on Guy's Big Bite. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml white basmati rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml water
- 9.85 ml salt
- 59.14 ml sliced apricot
- 29.58 ml chopped currants
- 59.14 ml sliced almonds, toasted
- 29.58 ml chopped cilantro leaves
- Warm olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add rice and onion. Stir until rice is well coated and translucent around edges, about 2 minutes.
- Add water and salt. Stir, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 20 minutes Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff rice.
- Then gently mix in remaining ingredients.
A great rice side that's easy to put together and gluten-free too. Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap November 2012
I scaled this back for 3 serves and used SunRise long grain wholemeal rice which is low GI for dietary reasons (first time I have used It). The packet directions said 20 to 30 minutes by the absorbtion method and they where spot on with 30 minutes and I had a nutty flavour rice which when mixed with the dried fruits (I used apricots and sultanas) and oops forgot to toast the alaonds but only had 1/2 as much as what was needed so the nuttiness of the brown rice I think set that off. Thank you AZPARZYCH, made for Please REview My Recipe.