Recipe by FloridaNative
These fabulous cream-filled buns are served in Iceland on Bolludagur - Buns Day - the Monday preceding Ash Wednesday. Posted for ZWT 6 - SCANDANAVIA.
Top Review by Baby Kato
What a great recipe. It was quick and easy to make. These buns were incredible tasting. The tangyness of the whipped cream combined with the chocolate, jam and bun, makes for pure ambrosia. The buns tasted fantastic. I will make these again, even though my buns fell. I made them to big, next time I will make smaller ones. Thanks so much for sharing your tasty treat FloridaNative.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (or 2 tsp. vanilla extract plus 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 7 ounces microwavable dipping chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large saucepan over a medium-high burner, stir together water, butter, salt and sugar until butter is melted.
- Add flour and beat quickly until mixture thickens and pulls away from the side of the pan. Remove pan from heat.
- Vigorously whisk in one egg at a time until batter is the consistency of thick pudding.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown (Note: Do not open the oven door during this cooking period because your buns will fall – and no one likes fallen buns).
- Transfer buns to racks to cool.
- Whip together the cream and vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract and powdered sugar) until stiff peaks form.
- When buns have cooled, slice each one in half and spread lower half with raspberry jam. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, place the remaining half on top, and ice with melted chocolate.
- Yield: 20 Bolludagur Buns.