1/2 Photos of Bolludagur Buns - Icelandic Cream-Filled Buns
These fabulous cream-filled buns are served in Iceland on Bolludagur - Buns Day - the Monday preceding Ash Wednesday. Posted for ZWT 6 - SCANDANAVIA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 2In a large saucepan over a medium-high burner, stir together water, butter, salt and sugar until butter is melted.
- 3Add flour and beat quickly until mixture thickens and pulls away from the side of the pan. Remove pan from heat.
- 4Vigorously whisk in one egg at a time until batter is the consistency of thick pudding.
- 5Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- 6Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown (Note: Do not open the oven door during this cooking period because your buns will fall – and no one likes fallen buns).
- 7Transfer buns to racks to cool.
- 8Whip together the cream and vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract and powdered sugar) until stiff peaks form.
- 9When buns have cooled, slice each one in half and spread lower half with raspberry jam. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, place the remaining half on top, and ice with melted chocolate.
- 10Yield: 20 Bolludagur Buns.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bolludagur Buns - Icelandic Cream-Filled Buns
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.3
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 60.2 mg
- Sodium 107.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: