Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe halves easily. “If you have a cast-iron skillet, you can make so many things in it for breakfast, lunch and dinner,” says Willis, author of “Basic to Brilliant Y’all” It’s a roasting pan. It’s a baking dish. It’s a skillet.” To me, the cast iron skillet is symbolic of the south. If you're not crazy about allspice or cloves, leave them out, though it is original to the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb mexican chorizo sausage, skins removed
- 1 white onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs (or 5 cups frozen)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mild cheese, such as Chihuahua or 8 ounces oaxaca cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Crumble in chorizo. Cook, stirring often, until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a bowl, leaving fat in the skillet. Note: If it's excessive, remove some leaving the browned bits.
- Add the white onion, garlic, ancho, paprika, cumin, chipotle, thyme, allspice, cloves and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the skillet; stir. Cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken; cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; transfer contents to a bowl. Stir in the reserved chorizo, cilantro and lime juice.
- Wipe skillet clean; heat 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the yellow onion; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 5-8 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Combine onion with the corn and milk in a food processor; puree until smooth. Return skillet to medium heat; add corn mixture. Cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Remove skillet from heat.
- Transfer corn mixture to a bowl. Spread the chicken-chorizo mixture in the skillet. Spread the corn mixture over the meat. Bake 30 minutes. Remove dish from oven; turn on the broiler. Spread the cheese over the casserole. Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown, 3-5 minutes.