Prep 10 mins
Cook 28 mins
This is from my 365 ways to cook Vegetarian cookbook. Corn is one of the few veggies my dear other half will eat, so I’m always on the lookout for new ways to fix it.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 481.94 g can corn
- 481.94 g can creamed corn
- 453.59 g can chicken broth
- 113.39 g candiced chilies
- 2.46 ml chipotle chile in adobo
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 limes
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add shredded potatoes, both cans of corn and the chicken broth. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add diced green chilies (don’t drain), chipotle sauce, garlic, oregano and cumin. Continue cooking, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Shortly before serving time, add the half-and-half and salt. With a sharp knife, cut half a lime in very thin slices and float on top of the soup. Cut remaining lime into quarters and serve on the side.
This is a very satisfying soup. My family loved it. The shredded potatoes together with the corn give a nice texture. The lime gives a wonderful twist to the flavors of the chiles and spices. I will make this one again.
Great tasting soup! Not the prettiest, though, unless it's decorated right. We used less oil, fat-free half-and-half and vegetable broth instead of chicken. Also, instead of chipotle chiles in adobo (which we can't always find) we used chipotle seasoning. Serve with some bread and veggies to make a complete vegetarian meal. Thanks, dicentra! Wonderful!
Fine,tasty soup. Easy to make. The lime was a great addition and the lime garnish made it quite attractive. I used vegetable broth instead of chicken and omitted most of the garlic. Also, I used fat free Half and Half which did not seem to detract from the flavor. It did lower the calories. A fine recipe.