Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from week 14 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Aruba is my 14th stop. This simple appetizer is made with ground ham and a simple glaze of apricot-pineapple jam.
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 cup soft white breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon french's prepared mustard
- 1 lb cooked ham, ground
- 1 (10 ounce) jar apricot-pineapple preserves
- Mix the ground ham together with the egg, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, seasoned salt and mustard.
- Shape the mixture into one or two inch balls and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- When the balls are done, let them cool for a few minutes. While they are cooling, put the apricot-pineapple jam into a small saucepan and heat to simmering. Then drop the balls into the jam and roll them around until they are coated and heated through. Serve immediately.
I had to add 2 extra eggs, just to make it hold together. Using a 1.25" scoop, I got 4 dozen balls. I used mango preserves as that is what I had on hand. I like the flavor, but as you can see from my picture, they absolutely fell apart. As I was taking them to a pot luck, they are in a rice cooker (I use that as it has a handle and is easy to carry). The flavor is still good, just not neat balls. I could only give it 3 starts as it fell apart, even after extra eggs.