1/1 Photo of Bold and Spicy Gingerbread With a Kick
1 hr 15 mins
Bonnie G #2's Note:
Found this recipe in Cook's Illustrated Holiday Baking Book and I LOVE spicy gingerbread so this is going to be the center piece of my Holiday table. It states that Stout beer and hefty dose of spices, including black pepper, invest this cake with a complex, robust flavor. 4 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger adds an unmistakable element that dried spices can't muster. As for the glaze, ginger-ale lends a robust flavor but an equal amount of orange or lemon juice can be substitued for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grond ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons ginger, fresh, grated
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 3/4 cup stout beer, such as Guinness
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Grease and flour 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan.
- 4Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- 5Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until bubbling.
- 6Stir in ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 7Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 8Whisk eggs, sugar, and fresh ginger in large bowl until light and frothy.
- 9Stir in melted butter mixture, molasses and stout until incorporated.
- 10Whisk flour mixture into egg mixture until no lumps remain.
- 11Pour batter into prepared pan and gently tap pan on countertop to release any trapped air bubbles.
- 12Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 13Cool cake in pan 20 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet and let cool completely.
- 15Whisk confectioners' sugar, ginger ale, and ginger in bowl until smooth.
- 16Pour glaze over cooled cake.
- 17Let glaze set 15 minutes.
- 19Cake can be stored at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, for 2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bold and Spicy Gingerbread With a Kick
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.4
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 237.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 32.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g