This recipe comes from the book of Traditional Portugese Cooking, which I bought in Lisbon. I have not tried this recipe but am posting it by request. Sorry for the vagueness of the recipe but it's all the information I have! Cooking and serving times are an estimation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dilute the yeast with the milk.
- 2In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and melted margarine.
- 3Now add this to the diluted yeast, slowly so as not to make any lumps.
- 4Knead all together.
- 5Continue kneading as you add the whole eggs, one by one.
- 6Allow the dough to leaven in a warm place for 2 hours.
- 7Divide the dough into three parts.
- 8Roll out each part and cover the bottom of a greased baking tin with one of the parts.
- 9Cover that with half of the meat.
- 10Add another piece of pastry and again cover with meat.
- 11Finish with the last piece of pastry.
- 12Put in the oven for a short while.
- 13The book says it should only go in the oven "to give it some consistence".
- 14Remove and brush the top with the egg-yolk.
- 15Place it again in a medium hot oven to bake.
Browse Our Top Portuguese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Portuguese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bola De Carne - Portuguese Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 918.5
- Calories from Fat 447
- Total Fat 49.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 327.7 mg
- Sodium 1593.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 45.4 g