Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the book of Traditional Portugese Cooking, which I bought in Lisbon. I have not tried this recipe but am posting it by request. Sorry for the vagueness of the recipe but it's all the information I have! Cooking and serving times are an estimation.
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon baker yeast
- 500 g flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 125 g margarine, melted
- 5 eggs
- 700 g chicken or 700 g pork or 700 g beef, cooked and cut into pieces
- 100 g sausage, cooked and chopped
- 100 g smoked ham
- 1 egg yolk
- In a large bowl, dilute the yeast with the milk.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and melted margarine.
- Now add this to the diluted yeast, slowly so as not to make any lumps.
- Knead all together.
- Continue kneading as you add the whole eggs, one by one.
- Allow the dough to leaven in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into three parts.
- Roll out each part and cover the bottom of a greased baking tin with one of the parts.
- Cover that with half of the meat.
- Add another piece of pastry and again cover with meat.
- Finish with the last piece of pastry.
- Put in the oven for a short while.
- The book says it should only go in the oven "to give it some consistence".
- Remove and brush the top with the egg-yolk.
- Place it again in a medium hot oven to bake.