Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
In the Phillipines meat balls are called bola bola's and they can be made of whatever the cook desires. They are served with a dipping sauce and can be used as a main dish or an appetizer. These can be made ahead and frozen and when ready to use; thaw and fry. They have to chill for at least 1 hour. The sauce takes 10 minutes to put together and at that time, add heat to make it as fiery as you like.
Bola Bola Balls
- 1⁄4 lb ground chicken breast
- 1⁄4 lb cooked shrimp, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- vegetable oil, for frying
Snappy Red Sauce for Bola Bola
- 1 cup chili sauce (Heinz)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fine green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Combine all ingredients for the balls, except for the oil and mix together thoroughly.
- Shape into 1" balls and chill for at least 1 hour - or freeze now for future use.
- Thaw completely before frying.
- Fry at 360F until the balls are a rich golden brown.
- Serve at once.
- To make the sauce:.
- Combine all the ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.