1/4 Photos of Bok Choy, Potato and Onion Side Dish
Not a stir-fry! East meets West in a simple side dish using bok choy given "body" with chopped potatoes, onions, and a little extra flavour. This is a very basic way of using Oriental cabbages other than in a stir-fry with soy sauce. The dish can be considerably enhanced if chopped bacon is added with the onion, and you might also want to up the spices by adding a chopped, seeded hot pepper or black pepper. Very tasty, and you'll never wonder whether to use those white ribs again: they are very useable!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and chop onion. Cut off only the root end off the bok choy, then separate the leaves, and wash thoroughly, as soil often sticks to the thick white stems.
- 2Peel potatoes and chop, and prepare ginger and garlic.
- 3Fry the onions in the oil, stirring, over high heat until they soften, then add the balsamic vinegar and stir. (Add a little more oil if necessary).
- 4Add the chopped potatoes. Lower heat, but stir frequently to prevent sticking. After about 5 minutes add the ginger, garlic and salt.
- 5Slice the bok choy from the stem parts to the green leaves, including all the white stems. Add to the pan. Stir, add the salt, and let saute without a lid for a while to prevent liquid forming.
- 6After about 10 minutes turn heat to low and put on a lid at an angle. Gently fry until the vegetables are cooked, but it's nice if the bok choy stems are slightly al dente still.
- 7As suggested: although this dish is quite flavourful as a side dish, you could add chopped bacon and a number of other ingredients, even mature cheese strewn over when it's cooked. Add black pepper or nutmeg, to taste.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bok Choy, Potato and Onion Side Dish
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.8
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 193.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt