Cook5 hrs 30 mins
From a feature in our state paper of Recipes Throughout the Ages. Times are estimated and have not included overnight chilling time.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Pat the skin of the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff onion into the cavity and then tie legs together with kitchen string and then bake for 30 minutes.
- Peel the carrot and roughly chop the leek and celery.
- Place the chicken and remaining ingredients into a large pot and cover with water and bring to the boil and skim off any scum that forms and then cover and simmer very gently for up to 5 hours.
- It will make your house smell wonderful.
- Strain into a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Chill overnight and then skim off fat that forms on the surface, use within 3 days or freeze.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS - the rich flavour of the wonderful broth makes a meal in itself, shred meat from the breast and throw in a handful of noodles and fresh herbs for a bowl of sublime chicken noodle soup.