Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the November 2005 issue of Vegetarian Times. Their note: Boiling the sugar, raisins and spices produces a wonderfully flavored cake that’s bound to become a holiday favorite. Dress it up with the lemony glaze just before serving for the perfect finish to this festive dinner.
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice, for glaze
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, for glaze
- To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda in bowl. Spray 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Combine sugar, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 1/2 cups water in large saucepan. Bring to boil, and cook 5 minutes, or until raisins plump up. Remove from heat, and stir in margarine.
- When margarine has melted, add flour mixture and pecans to saucepan. Blend well, and pour into pan. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto wire rack and cool completely.
- To make Glaze: Whisk lemon juice into confectioners’ sugar. Pour over cooled cake. Decorate with whole pecans, if desired.