Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An old-fashioned salad dressing. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Mix dry ingredients well; add vinegar and water slowly, stirring constantly and cook until thickened and smooth.
- Beat eggs or egg yolks slightly; add a little of the hot mixture to the eggs gradually, stirring well.
- Then add remaining hot mixture and cook over low heat for another five minutes.
- Add butter, transfer to a container or glass jar and allow to remain uncovered until cool.
- When ready to serve, thin with cream to desired consistency.