1/2 Photos of Boiled Raisin Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was in a box of loose recipes I'd cut out of magazines and newspapers. I'm posting it here so it won't get lost. See NOTE at bottom of recipe if you don't have pastry flour. UPDATE-- Made this today. It didn't rise much, maybe it's not supposed too. I did use pastry flour. The flavor is wonderful. I dropped the salt down to 1/2 teaspoon, and used butter instead of shortening. There's less than 1/2 left it was so tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In saucepan. place raisins, brown sugar, hot water, shortening, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- 2Bring mixture to boiling point, cover and let simmer for 6 minutes.
- 3Cool to lukewarm and add vanilla.
- 4Add soda to flour and mix.
- 5Combine flour and raisin mixture well.
- 6Bake in buttered 9X5" loaf pan in 325° oven for 1-1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan.
- 7This cake improves with keeping.
- 9NOTE--It can be a challenge to find pastry flour. Even well-stocked supermarkets seldom carry more varieties than cake flour, all-purpose flour (9% to 12% protein), and bread flour. If you can't find pastry flour, you can mix your own by combining cake flour and all-purpose flour in a ratio somewhere between two parts cake flour to one part all-purpose and one part cake flour to one part all-purpose.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boiled Raisin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.4
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 369.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g