2 hrs 20 mins
Originally from my mother-in-law and based on a New England dish. I've modified it over the years to fit my family's taste. The amount of vegetables can certainly be varied according to your own preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork sirloin roast or 2 lbs roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon instant garlic (not garlic salt) or 1 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or water)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 large onions, peeled and cut in half
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cored
- 1Cut pork into 2 or 3 large chunks and trim extra fat. In large stock pot, saute pork in olive oil until browned on all sides. Sprinkle pork with thyme and garlic; remove to plate.
- 2Deglaze pan with white wine, stirring to bring up browned bits; return pork to pot.
- 3Add all other ingredients except cabbage. Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover and keep on low boil for about 2 hours or until pork starts to fall apart. This can take longer if pork simmers at a lower temperature. This is a good dish to make on cold winter days; the pork can simmer along for many hours if you'd like to hold it longer.
- 4About 15 minutes prior to serving, cut cabbage into large shreds; stir into pot. (If it looks like too much, add half now and stir in more after first addition starts to wilt.) Bring to a boil and cook until cabbage wilts and is soft.
- 5This makes a soupy roast, not a thickened gravy. Serve in large bowls with good bread to sop up the au jus. It's even better the second day.
- 6This can be made in a crock pot, but needs to be adjusted: use less broth (only a cup or two); transfer everything to a pot when ready to add the cabbage in order to boil it down (hence, "boiled dinner"). You can skip the browning, but the flavor is not as good.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boiled Pork Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (1326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 714.0
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 131.6 mg
- Sodium 220.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 51.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: