Recipe by Dreamgoddess
This is my adopted recipe. I haven't made it yet.
Top Review by Marie
I had quit buying ham because of the saltiness so I was so happy to find this recipe. I soaked it for 8 hours in cold water and boiled it for about an hour and a half. The taste is awesome! The only drawback is that the ham was pretty dry. I will try boiling it for less time and see how that works. I will definitely use this many times more. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before the gammon is to be cooked place it in a bowl of cold water and allow to soak.
- This removes some of the salt and tenderises it a little bit.
- Place in a large cooking pot, (make sure you have a lid for it), cover with cold water, add the onions and bouquet garni and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat right down so the water is barely bubbling and put on the lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound of meat.
- Once the cooking time is up leave the meat in the liquour until cooled.
- This stops it tensing up, and drying out, and makes it lovely and tender.