Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Classic Christmas dessert
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied peel
- Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil the sugar, water, butter, spices, raisins, cranberries, and cherries.
- Boil for five minutes, remove from heat, and let cool till lukewarm.
- Stir spice mixture the flour, baking soda, vanilla extract and candied fruit.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and store, if possible, for a few days before serving.