Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an easy-to-make dark boiled fruit cake. Slice and freeze to have on hand when unexpected quests arrive.
- 500 g mixed fruit
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon parisian spice essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- In a large saucepan, place the mixed fruit, butter & water.
- Add marmalade and mixed spice, and mix together.
- Bring to boil over medium heat then boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Add bicarb soda and stir.
- Leave to cool.
- When cool, add 2 eggs and mix well.
- Gently fold in flour.
- Turn into a 20cm greased cake tin.
- Bake at 150 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
- Then, 125 degrees celsius for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Turn on to a wire rack.
- 1 tablespoon of rum can be drizzled over the top.
- Notes: Orange juice or rum can be used instead of water.
- Fan-forced electric oven used.