Recipe by Pietro
A very tasty moist fruit cake that has good keeping qualities. The recipe requires mixed dried fruit. You can choose the varieties that you want to use. I like to add some crushed pineapple just for something different.
- 2 cups dried mixed fruit
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place fruit in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. You may need more than one cup of water, depending on what dried fruit you use.
- Simmer for two minutes, then cool.
- Pour fruit into a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter, bicarbonate soda, eggs and sugar. Blend mixture.
- Sift in flours and mix until well blended.
- Line a square cake tin with greaseproof paper. Pour mixture into tin and spread evenly.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 90 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Tips. You can add a dash of sweet sherry or brandy to the fruit while it is simmering if you prefer a bit of alcohol in the cake.