Recipe by JustJanS
I know a lot of people don't like fruitcake, but I love it and can't understand what's not to love;-). This is a nice simple one from my high school cookbook. I've made a couple of changes to the original recipe over the years.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 2⁄3 cups mixed fruit (eg currants, raisins, golden raisins, dates, prunes, dried cherries or cranberries)
- 1⁄3 cup mixed peel
- 1⁄3 cup glace cherries
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice (similar to pumpkin pie spice)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350f.
- Place the sugar, water, fruit, peel, glace cherries, almond, spices, soda and butter in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat when it reaches the boil, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg, sifted flours and pour into a prepared tin-greased and lined 7 inch square or 8 inch round cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour, allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.