Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I first had boiled dinner at a friends house and I loved it. The first time I made it I used rutabagas I took it to my future hubby's family's house and his family loved it. I don't use rutabagas as they are very hard to cut the skin off. I find the ham with a bone in it is best for flavor, but you can use boneless if preferred. Leftover ham is great to use in this. I serve mine in a bowl with white vinegar sprinkled over top. My family loves boiled dinner and my future hubby loves it made this way.
- Place the cut up cabbage in a big pot. Cover the cabbage with water just covering.
- Let the cabbage cook on med-high heat until the cabbage is cooked down enough to add the ham bone in all. I cut as much of the ham off the bone before adding to the pot.
- Add the carrots and potatoes.
- Continue to cook but turn down to low and cook all day. ( I start mine at 12:00pm and cook until 5 or 6:00pm).
- Note: You may use 1 medium rutabagas, peeled and cut into small chunks and or parsnips, peele and cut into small chunks.