Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I've been making this forever. I like it because it's full of flavor, I get lots of meals out of it, and I can save (freeze) the liquid to use to flavor other vegetables like collards later. I save (freeze) the ham fat off the meat to flavor beans and etc. also.
- 5 -6 lbs smoked pork shoulder
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut in wedges, washed
- 2 -3 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut in large chunks
- 8 large carrots, peeled, cut in large chunks
- 2 large onions, cut in chunks
- 5 parsnips, peeled, cut in chunks
- black pepper
- Put the smoked shoulder in a large pot big enough to hold it with a little extra room. Add enough water to cover it. Cook the shoulder on medium-low for about 2 1/2 hours. Turn the shoulder over in the pot halfway through the cooking time. Once meat is done, take out of pot and set aside. Keep warm. Keep liquid in pot.
- Put all the vegetables in pot liquid. Cook on medium-low for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove from pot with slotted spoon and put in serving dish.
- Serve vegetables with ham while hot.
- (Freeze your pot liquid, ham fat, and ham bone to flavor other things later.) *I usually make this on a weekend when I'm gonna be home all day.
I have been making this the same way for years, just as my mother and grandmother did! (can you tell i'm from New England?) This is true comfort food. We sprinkle our cabbage with vinegar as a condiment. Delicious!