Recipe by Pietro
A delicious, moist carrot cake with a touch of class. The recipe can be altered by adding or omitting fruit varieties or nuts. The cake will stay moist for 3 to 4 days, if it lasts that long!
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 30 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine carrot, raisins, water, sugar,butter, cinnamon, nutmeg in a saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is disolved. Do not allow to boil.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Sift half flours and soda into cold mixture.
- Then sift remaining flours and add walnuts.
- Spread into a well greased cake tin. Bake in a moderately slow oven for about 1 hour.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Tip. Any dried fruit can be used and the walnuts can be ommitted.
- Frosting can be added to cake.