Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the book Czech and Slovak Touches. Recipe from Rose and Lumir Vondracek own and operate Vondracek's 16th Avenue Meat Market in the Czech Village, Cedar Rapids.
- 2 lbs beef tip roast, sliced (other beef cut)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3 medium dill pickles, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dill, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Boil the sliced beef about 2 hours, or until tender.
- Melt the butter and mix with the flour.
- Fry to make light golden roux, add to beef broth along with pickles, vinegar, and dill (optional).
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the gravy thickens.
- Stir constantly to prevent lumping.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the hot gravy over the sliced beef.
- Serve with bread dumplings.
- Use the remaining broth to make delicious beef soup.