Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the book Czech and Slovak Touches. Recipe from Rose and Lumir Vondracek own and operate Vondracek's 16th Avenue Meat Market in the Czech Village, Cedar Rapids.
- Boil the sliced beef about 2 hours, or until tender.
- Melt the butter and mix with the flour.
- Fry to make light golden roux, add to beef broth along with pickles, vinegar, and dill (optional).
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the gravy thickens.
- Stir constantly to prevent lumping.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the hot gravy over the sliced beef.
- Serve with bread dumplings.
- Use the remaining broth to make delicious beef soup.