Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very easy instructions for how to boil an artichoke and make a tasty dipping sauce.
- 4 artichokes (globe or french)
- 59.16 ml vegan butter (i use earth balance)
- 14.79 ml garlic paste
- 2 lemons
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Quarter one of the lemons and add to the pot of boiling water.
- Cut the stems off the artichoke and cut the top inch off from the leaves (optional). You can also use scissors to cut the pointed tips off the leaves if you desire.
- Boil the artichokes for 35 minutes or until you can easily pull away one of the lower leaves.
- Fill individual ramekins with 1 tbsp of butter each and microwave until butter is melted (approximately 30 seconds).
- Stir the garlic paste into the ramekins of butter.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon into the ramekins.
- To eat: pull the leaves off the artichoke, dip in sauce, and scrape the meat off the leaf with your teeth. Once you are out of leaves use a spoon to scrape out the "hair" of the artichoke and then eat the heart of the artichoke (the best part!) by dipping in the butter sauce.
I make mine this way so good.. My favorite way to eat artichokes a great recipe thanks for posting. An easy tip for getting the fine hairs out in the middle of the heart is to use a melon baller to scrape them out :)
This was good. Robyn is clearly a poor cook if she doesn't check her cooking but once, especially for something she's never cooked before, and especially since it says "or until you can easily pull away a leaf".
We love artichokes but never cooked them ourselves. We tried these directions and even checked on them 5 minutes early but it was way, way, way too late. They were just brown, stinky mush. Tried to eat a few pieces while holding my breath, but threw the other one away. Took hours to get the taste out of my mouth.