Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the New German Cookbook by Jean Anderson and Hedy Wurz. Posted for ZWT6. What could be better than bacon and pears with green beans!
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb green beans, stems and tips trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb pear, peeled halved cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- Bring the salt and water to a boil in a very heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to very low.
- Add the beans, top with the pears, then the bacon.
- Add the savory and pepper, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley, then serve.