Recipe by IngridH
From the New German Cookbook by Jean Anderson and Hedy Wurz. Posted for ZWT6. What could be better than bacon and pears with green beans!
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb green beans, stems and tips trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb pear, peeled halved cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the salt and water to a boil in a very heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to very low.
- Add the beans, top with the pears, then the bacon.
- Add the savory and pepper, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley, then serve.