Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Libby's newspaper clippings. I haven't tried these yet. They used a compressed cake of yeast and I'm guessing on the flour amount. The old recipes never gave flour amounts. Drat them. 1 tablespoon of salt seems a lot to me; I would cut back on that I think.
- Blend yeast with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Add lukewarm milk, sugar, and enough flour to make a thin sponge.
- Mix well and let rise in warm spot one hour or until sponge is bubbly and light.
- With a spoon, add eggs, lard, salt, nutmeg, and enough flour enough to make a thick dough.
- Let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Put dough on a floured board.
- Cut into pieces smaller than egg.
- Flour each piece and roll around and around.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Just before dropping into hot fat, make a hole in middle of each by bringing the thumb and middle finger towards each other through bun and stretching a little.
- Roll in sugar.