Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Received this in an email - it is a BIG recipe with four wonderful fillings. I suspect each filling as listed would fill the MANY kolaches this recipe will make. The first go round I plan to halve the recipe probably quarter two of the fillings. BTW, Myrtle did not indicate whether the apricots were fresh or dried - I am going with dried when I make it. She didn't give a cook time either - so watch closely after 15 minutes. No yield either so I am guesstimating on 100+. Thanks, Myrtle Killian!
- 8 teaspoons dry yeast, dissolved in
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup butter (margarine fine too)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 10 -11 cups flour (don't make dough too stiff)
- 1 lb pitted prunes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb apricot
- sugar, to taste
Cottage Cheese Filling
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
Poppy Seed Filling
- 2 lbs poppy seed filling (from a bakery)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Dissolve yeast in water until foamy.
- Heat milk, pour over butter and sugar. Stir until melted. Add 2 cups flour, then beat until smooth.
- Add yeast, eggs and salt. Add flour until a soft ball forms. Grease top; let.
- rise. Punch down and let rise again.
- Stretch dough on floured board to about 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into rounds using a soup can. Put on greased pans and let rise.
- When nice and puffy, make indentations in center and fill with favorite filling like prune, apricot, cottage cheese or poppy seed. When risen to a nice puffy look, bake at 375 degrees F until a golden color - cook 15 minutes then check every 3 minutes thereafter.
- Prune Filling:.
- Cook prunes until soft. Grind and add sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Apricot Filling:.
- Cook apricots until soft. Grind and add sugar. Sweeter is better. Stir well.
- Cottage Cheese Filling:.
- Put cottage cheese in blender. Add egg yolk, lemon juice, nutmeg and 4 tablespoons flour and blend some more. Take out of blender and add raisins. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour and sugar.
- Poppy Seed Filling:.
- Mix together. Use enough cream to make it easier to put into kolaches.
Thank you for submitting this. I have my Chech Grandmothers recipe for her Kolaches, but she didn't include the filling recipes. She passed away 15 years ago and I've been trying the filling recipes ever since. This is exactly right. Thanks again
This is great for catered events!