Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A good cabbage dish to warm you up on a cold winter day! This is yummy!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, cut into thin shreds
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Place 1/2 of the cabbage in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and sprinkle generously with salt and half of the caraway seeds.
- Then layer half of the ground beef, half of green pepper, half of onions and the 1/2 cup of uncooked rice over the cabbage.
- Salt and pepper again.
- Repeat layers again starting with remaining cabbage, caraway seeds, ground beef, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper.
- Be sure to salt adequately because cabbage needs a lot of salt.
- Mix water and soup together and pour over all.
- Cover and bake at 325°F for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender.
Recipe doesn't say when to add the rice, I suggest putting the rice at the bottom. DH made this but put some of the rice at the top, under the soup but it didn't cook very well. Really, really yummy though! DH LOVED this, and so did I. Thank you.
Great tasting economical dish! The caraway flavoring is excellent. I used sui choy instead of green cabbage. Will defintely make again. Thank you for posting Catherine
My mother used to make this in an electric skillet. I haven't had it in years. I left out the green pepper but it is wonderful. Thanks for reminding me!