Top Review by Eva
This is a true authentic Hungarian recipe. In Hungary we would sit around the fire and cook this dish in Bogracs and socialize. Serve with some boiled potatoes or rice if you like. To kick it up a bit add a little hot Hungarian Paprika to it and 1/2 hour before the food is cooked, add one more thinly sliced onion to the pot. Delicious!!!
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat
- 5 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 3 lbs stewing beef, in 1" cubes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- sour cream, at room temp.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat bacon fat in a deep heavy pot.
- Cook the onions, peppers, and garlic until the onions are limp and transparent.
- Add paprika and cook until it has lost its raw taste.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients, except sour cream.
- Stir well to combine.
- Simmer in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Adjust oven temperature during cooking time so contents of pot remain at a simmer.
- Serve in shallow soup bowls with a tablespoon of sour cream on top of each serving.