Recipe by sofie-a-toast
This is from the Rival Crock pot recipe book. Boeuf Bourguignonne, also known as Beef Burgandy, is a french peasant stew. It was my absolute favorite recipe that my mom made while I was growing up. I'm a vegetarian now because I don't like meat and I can safely say that this might be the only beef recipe I've ever liked. SO GOOD AND TENDER AND FLAVORFUL! *To make gravy thicker. Turn crock pot to high. Combine 3 T flour with 3 T melted butter & put into stew **To make gravy thicker for oven cooking method, make a roue of the flour & butter & add to oven dish.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for Fall PAC 2012 and DH couldn't stop eating this. I cooked this in the crockpot and the meat came out sooo tender and everything was done perfectly. Served over garlic mashed potatoes. Our company wanted the recipe so I ran up and printed them a copy. Thank you for posting.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 -3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion
- 1⁄2-1 lb mushroom
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (like Burgundy)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry 6 strips bacon until crisp and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In the bacon grease brown well beef stew meat. Put beef into crock pot.
- Brown 1 med carrot sliced & 1 sliced small onion. Add salt & pepper to taste. Stir in 3 T flour & 1 10-3/4 oz can condensed beef broth. Mix well & put in crock pot.
- Add the bacon, tomato paste, minced garlic, thyme leaves, bay leaf, and pearl onion to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. (or in 300 degree oven in a covered pan for 2 hours.).
- Saute mushrooms in butter and add with red wine to crock pot or oven dish & cook for one more hour.