French hearty dish; you will bring France to your home.This is a recipe from my sister in law Rachel that I tweaked a bit and converted to the slow cooker. Serve with mashed potatoes. I don't kow what Julia would say about this version' but I know it is good.
- 3 lbs round steaks, cut in cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups white pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 2 cups mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon butter, for mushroom
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in large saucepan and brown beef a small quantity at a time; spoon into slow cooker.
- Brown pearl onions; set aside.
- Sprinkle flour in hot fat to make a roux; season with pepper. Add garlic,bay leaves, thyme, Herbes de Provence.
- Add 1/2 cup wine to roux;simmer to thicken. Pour in slow cooker.
- Add the remaining wine and just enough bouillon to barely cover the meat.
- Cover and cook in slow cooker on Low for 6 hours.
- Add carrots and pearl onions; continue cooking another hour and 1/2.
- Melt butter in saucepan and sauté mushroom caps. Set aside.
- Just before serving, remove bay leaves. Add sautéed mushroom caps and sprinkle with chopped parsley.