This recipe is one we used to have when I was growing up in Holland. It's hearty and a delicious way to get your greens.
- Peel and dice potatoes and onions.
- Clean, trim and slice kale.
- Add the potatoes, onion, kale, a bay leaf, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover all in a 3 qrt pan.
- Cover and boil gently for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the smoked sausage for the same amount of time and slice.
- Remove the bay leaf, drain the vegetables, and mash them.
- Add milk and butter.
- Stir in the hot, sliced smoked sausage, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.