Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is one we used to have when I was growing up in Holland. It's hearty and a delicious way to get your greens.
- Peel and dice potatoes and onions.
- Clean, trim and slice kale.
- Add the potatoes, onion, kale, a bay leaf, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover all in a 3 qrt pan.
- Cover and boil gently for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the smoked sausage for the same amount of time and slice.
- Remove the bay leaf, drain the vegetables, and mash them.
- Add milk and butter.
- Stir in the hot, sliced smoked sausage, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This is comfort food at it's best! I am always looking for new ways to fix kale because not only is it super healthy, but it is one of my favorite veggies. I served this with PanNans Frijoles Borrachitos-Beans with Beer #38046. This recipe really complimented the spiciness of the beans. Quick and easy!
I couldnt believe the flavour in this simple meal. I made it ahead and heated in a frying pan prior to serving. The tastes all run together and make and excellent meal. Just like Hubby said his grandmother used to make.
Excellent. I too cooked my sausage in with the potatoes, and removed them to be sliced just before draining and mashing. It made this an extremely simple meal to make, loaded with kale, a veggie I am trying to use more, since it seems to be at the top of every list when it comes to the vitamin content of vegetables. Karl is not crazy about kale, but this went down with positive enthusiasm. Oh, one other minor change - I added the kale halfway through the cooking to keep it nice and green. This is just a great recipe for a quick and satifying family supper.