Recipe by PanNan
This recipe is one we used to have when I was growing up in Holland. It's hearty and a delicious way to get your greens.
Top Review by Daphne2002
This is comfort food at it's best! I am always looking for new ways to fix kale because not only is it super healthy, but it is one of my favorite veggies. I served this with PanNans Frijoles Borrachitos-Beans with Beer #38046. This recipe really complimented the spiciness of the beans. Quick and easy!
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb kale
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice potatoes and onions.
- Clean, trim and slice kale.
- Add the potatoes, onion, kale, a bay leaf, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover all in a 3 qrt pan.
- Cover and boil gently for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the smoked sausage for the same amount of time and slice.
- Remove the bay leaf, drain the vegetables, and mash them.
- Add milk and butter.
- Stir in the hot, sliced smoked sausage, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.