Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1814.36 g kale
- 1814.36 g potatoes, peeled & quartered (12 medium)
- 73.94 ml fat or 73.94 ml lard
- 4.92 ml salt
- 453.59 g knackwurst of frankfurter, -- heated
- Strip the kale, wash, and boil for about 1 hour.
- Drain, and mince very fine. Use a large pot; place potatoes in it and half cover with water.
- Add kale, fat, and salt. Simmer.
- cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until mixture is rather dry.
- Serve with knackwurst on top of kale and potatoes.
I love this dish. To me it is a winter comfort food. I think that after you say to add water to the potatos it should say "boil until tender and drain". Am I right? And then add the kale etc. Thanks for sendind this in!
We have this meal at least once a month during the winter. However, I cook it all in the same pot. When serving I take out the sausages (smoked, by the way) and then stomp the kale and potatoes until they are a lovely green colour. The fat from the sausages soaks into the potato and kale. I serve it with a little viniger dribbled over kale mixture and sausage. yum-yum.
I prepared this recipe using Margaret van den Hoekâ€™s suggestions to use smoked sausage and cook it all in one pot, and added onion powder and garlic powder. After cooking, I removed the meat and then mashed the potatoes and kale together, mixing in a little heavy cream at the end. This was a very good supper which I will make again. Thanks for the recipe.