Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A farmer's version of a kale dish with smoked sausage. True comfort food!
Make and share this Boerenkool recipe from Food.com.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of a large pot.
- Layer onions and kale on top of potatoes.
- Lay the coiled up smoked sausage on top of the kale.
- Pour water in the bottom of the pot- just enough to almost cover the potatoes, and cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, fry the bacon up until crispy; drain, but save the drippings.
- When the potatoes are done, remove the sausage from the pot and cut into 3-4-inch chunks.
- Drain any excess water from the pot, and add the bacon, drippings and all, along with the vinegar.
- Using a potato masher to smash it until it looks like slightly lumpy mashed potatoes (very rustic).
- Add the butter and season with pepper if you wish.
- Serve with the sausage on the side.
- Pour gravy over the top, if desired.
This recipe is one of my favorite winter recipes... it's so easy to make and so Dutch. When preparing this I never add the onions but I'm sure these make it even tastier. I just love this method of preparing everything in one pot !