Sue Lau's Note:
A farmer's version of a kale dish with smoked sausage. True comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the potatoes in the bottom of a large pot.
- 2Layer onions and kale on top of potatoes.
- 3Lay the coiled up smoked sausage on top of the kale.
- 4Pour water in the bottom of the pot- just enough to almost cover the potatoes, and cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- 5While the potatoes are cooking, fry the bacon up until crispy; drain, but save the drippings.
- 6When the potatoes are done, remove the sausage from the pot and cut into 3-4-inch chunks.
- 7Drain any excess water from the pot, and add the bacon, drippings and all, along with the vinegar.
- 8Using a potato masher to smash it until it looks like slightly lumpy mashed potatoes (very rustic).
- 9Add the butter and season with pepper if you wish.
- 10Serve with the sausage on the side.
- 11Pour gravy over the top, if desired.
Nutritional Facts for Boerenkool
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 827.4
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 87.2 mg
- Sodium 1081.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 26.2 g