Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old Danish recipe that my hubby's grandmother makes (she's Danish). Times aren't exact... I don't pay too much attention to the cook and prep time. It's a simple meat and potatoes dish... but don't omit the jam!! That's what makes it!
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 egg
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion
- browning sauce, for gravy (or whatever you use to make gravy)
- strawberry jam
- Peel and cut potatoes and proceed to make mashed potatoes as to your personal taste.
- I like Butter, milk, salt, and a little bit of garlic.
- While the potatoes are boiling, do the following steps: Combine egg, lots of salt and pepper (to taste), and hamburger in a bowl.
- Form into small patties.
- Heat some oil in a dutch oven, and fry the patties until the fluid runs clear; set patties aside.
- Slice up the onion and fry it in the pan until clear, set aside.
- Now using the juices in the pan, make lots of gravy (enough to cover all patties) with the browning (like Bisto).
- Add back to it the patties and the onion.
- Let that simmer for about 20 minutes or so-- so that the flavours infuse.
- While that is simmering, you can proceed to mash the potatoes.
- To serve: Dollop the potatoes on your plate, add some patties on the side, with gravy over everything.
- And the most important part.
- some strawberry jam on the side to eat with the patties.
- Very Yummy!