Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Special treats for the four-legged family member!
- 6 ounces beef bouillon (or meat juices)
- 4 slices bacon, fried to a crisp and drippings/grease reserved
- 3 ounces bacon grease (from fried bacon, add some melted margarine if necessary)
- 1 ounce beef jerky
- 3 ounces corn flakes cereal or 3 ounces grain cereal, broken into crumbs
- 4 ounces powdered milk or 4 ounces dry buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (approximately)
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, process jerky and bacon until you have tiny crumbs- set aside.
- In a large bowl, pour beef bouillon or meat juices over grease.
- Stir in powdered milk, salt, sugar, egg, cereal crumbs and crumbled bacon/jerky.
- Add flour, ¼ to ½ cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Knead 4 to 5 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make very stiff dough.
- Pat or roll to between ¼-inch and ½-inch thickness.
- Cut into bone shapes and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.